THE LATEST FESTIVAL UPDATES
Saturday, February 17th
- 6:30 p.m. : Dingli Zeng shared these photos taken today covering the 3/4 relay and sprints of all ages.
Friday, February 16th
- 9:00 a.m. : the Start Lists for the Sprints and Individual events have been posted to the Bullitt Timing website. We are still waiting on the Start Lists for the relays, which should be coming soon.
- 9:05 a.m. : An updated Festival Sitemap has been posted to the Maps page,
Thursday, February 15th
- 10:30 p.m. : A video message to BKL skiers from members of the US Olympic Cross Country Ski Team in Pyeongchang has been posted to the Schedule page.
- 8:00 p.m. : A SnowDance video featuring footage from teams around the league has been posted to the About page.
- 5:00 p.m. : Late online registration for the BKL Festival closed
- 2:30 p.m. : An updated official Festival Schedule PDF was posted to the Schedule page.
- 1:00 p.m. : The Festival Registrant Logistics Guide PDF was posted to the About page
- 12:45 p.m. : A Venue and Parking Guide PDF was posted to the Maps page
GET READY for the 2018 NEBKL Festival
February 17-18, 2018
Update: Our handy festival logistics guide PDF is ready to print and bring with you on your trip to Weston, and covers everything you'll want handy — from parking to costumes to race bibs.
We are so excited to host many of you at Weston Ski Track and Embassy Suites in Waltham, our host hotel. Although it’s not been the best winter for snow, we have been very fortunate with cold nights that have allowed the snowmaking crew at Weston Ski Track to make lots and lots of snow. Currently the snowmakers are piling it up in key locations that can be spread out to parts of the course. In fact, they are SO good that we haven’t missed a practice all season! Our Chief of Course, Chris Li, has both normal and “low snow” race courses so we are ready to share a festival weekend full of lots of fun and great racing!
At the ski venue, we have lots of fun activities at Nordic Adventure including Orienteering, Beanbag Biathlon and Tandem Ski races. Bring an appetite for lunch at the venue because there will be warm healthy lunch to purchase from Whole Foods and snacks from Green Mountain Creamery and other vendors. SWAG for the kids includes stuff from some of our donors and an awesome 2018 NEBKL Festival Tech Shirt. If you missed out on a pre-order from SKIDA, they’ll be there, too!
At the hotel, we have a yummy buffet on Saturday night including dinner rolls with butter, garden salad with dressings, pasta primavera with fresh vegetables and alfredo sauce, baked penne pasta with chicken and marinara sauce, freshly baked cookies. We will also have an event-themed photo booth for your commemorative photo, and music and movies in the Atrium at Embassy Suites.
UPDATES FROM OUR CHIEF OF COURSE
The snowmakers at Weston have been able to keep the entire track intact this season.
The weather is not cooperating, but our snowmakers are incredible. Even after the unseasonably warm temps and rain, the course is in good shape! Snowmakers at the ski venue have all hands on deck to make snow whenever the temperature dips this week. We’ve also been stockpiling snow to ensure that we have good coverage for racing this weekend!
Under low snow conditions:
- The sprint course will remain unchanged.
- The relay course will be on a man-made loop which is 1.5km for Grades 5-8, 1.1 for Grades 3-4, and 0.7 for Grades 1-2.
- The classic course will be similar to the relay course.
We are fortunate that some areas of the course are very wide and can accommodate U-Turn. The course will be multiple laps for grades 3-8. Grades 1-2 will have a 0.95 km race. Grades 3-4 will do 2 laps of the 0.95km course. Grades 5-6 will do 2 laps of the 1.6km loop and Grades 7-8 will do 3 laps of the 1.6km loop. Check out the course maps and schedule.
We look forward to seeing you on February 16-18! Please be in touch if you want detailed snow conditions. We’re happy to help!